Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lessons from the Littles

Toddlers are certainly not perfect little people, and today I am not planning to romanticize life with a two-year-old.  There are fits and tantrums, fierce battles for independence, and infuriatingly fickle preferences that cause severe mood swings at random moments throughout the day.  Earlier today my toddler begged for a banana, and then threw it on the floor and screamed, "NO WANT THIS BANANA!" when I handed it to her.  Earlier this week she decided that the only thing she was prepared to wear all day was a purple Dora the Explorer night gown, glow-in-the-dark pajama pants, and her pink cowgirl boots.  I'm sure everyone at the grocery story thought she was adorable in that get up.

All of that being said, there are some pretty wonderful things about these little people.  Two-year-olds simply do not hold back their emotions.  Sometimes the result is an ugly scene, but other times it is beautiful.  I am thinking specifically about the way my youngest daughter reacts any and every time she is reunited with her best buddy Mae.  They typically see each other at least a few times a week, but their reaction is one of exuberant, irrepressible joy each time.  They squeal with delight.  They jump and run and dance.  They chant each other's names.  They love without any fear or embarrassment.

At some point after the age of two, we stop doing that.  I am trying to imagine how my husband might feel if I greeted him toddler-style when he arrived home after a long day at work.  Even though I love him even more than my toddler can comprehend, I hold back because I'm tired and a bit weary.  Maybe I am even a little bit afraid of rejection.  How crazy is that?

So while my toddler leaps for joy and shrieks excitedly, "DADDY'S HOME!!" I barely look up from scrubbing the toilet or doing dishes to say, "Hi. How was your day?"  Having recently lost a dear friend, I believe my toddler friends have something to teach me.  Having best friends, funny friends, serious friends, caring friends, old friends and new friends is absolutely worth getting excited about.  Loving and being loved by my husband and my family should cause me to feel euphoric and gleeful.

I don't allow that glee to overtake me nearly often enough.  Somehow life has squashed the fearlessly-loving toddler that used to live inside my skin.  I love watching my two favorite toddlers greet each other.  I may even be a little envious of the fact that they "get it" and that suppressing their delight never even occurs to them.  Having a friend who loves you, a friend who is excited about the fact that you are present in the world is one of the best things ever (even if that friend shoves you and steals your favorite Elmo book later).

 So, dear friends, in case I haven't said it lately, I love you and the fact that you love me too and want to be my friend is rawther exciting. 
"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same."
~Elbert Hubbard

No comments: