Monday, January 9, 2012

Woman Cave

It goes without saying that I love my children and my husband.  I love sticky kisses and outstretched arms.  I love nursery songs sung by little, frolicsome voices and imaginary play with animal noises.  I love dancing and joke-telling and hearing about every one's day.  

I love all of these things, but...

I also really love silence and solitude.

Silence and solitude are not easy things to come by in a house full of children.  The need for these sneaked up on me recently.  It manifested itself through impatient replies, short tempered reactions, and feelings of angst when children plopped their needy little bodies onto my lap.

Over the weekend when everyone had settled in to watch a movie together, I slunk away to waste my time looking at crock pot recipes and other nonsense on the Internet for an hour.  I stared at my computer's screen with glazed eyes and allowed the silence in the room to saturate me.  I sat in my chair and contentedly relished the fact that absolutely no one was touching me for an entire hour.

When the movie was over, I managed to smile at everyone and wish them a good night and sweet dreams.  I then told my husband that I would be sleeping in the guest room by myself that night.  He looked puzzled.  I assured him, "It's nothing to do with you.  I just need some silence and stillness."

"I'm just planning to go right to sleep," he offered.

"Yes, but you'll be breathing."  I answered, displaying the most pleasant countenance I could manage.

Men aren't the only ones who need a metaphorical "cave" for occasional escapes.  I've been thinking, after enjoying my solo night, that perhaps I need a Woman Cave, a quiet and comfortable spot with flowers and candles and books.  No kids or adorable husbands allowed.  A wise Mommy friend suggested that all moms need a full night away once a month.  I like this idea a lot, and while I doubt I will make it happen once a month, I do hope to listen a little more closely to my inner-introvert and indulge her need for solitude a little more often.

Who's with me?

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Virginia Woolf and I concur.