Saturday, May 19, 2012

Let's Hear it for the Girls!

This morning my daughter and I got up really early.  I made coffee, the real kind, and fed my girl the breakfast cookies I had made around midnight the night before.  We made our way to the Community Center at 7:00.  My daughter donned tacky mismatched socks, had her hair painted red, stretched her muscles, listened to some motivational tunes on her mp3 player, and then set off with her official "running buddy" on her first ever 5K run.

Emma ran and ran with her trusty running partner, Mrs. Adams, who also happens to be her adorable art teacher.  While my girl ran, I cheered for girls.  I cheered for all of the girls, especially the girls in blue shirts who were part of the Girls on the Run program.  (I also cheered for an old guy wearing a neon yellow "Jogging With Jesus" t-shirt, not that he needed my encouragement.)  I cheered and cheered.  I yelled until my throat felt sore, "Go, Girls!!"  I hooted and hollered and shook a pink pom pom.  I gave a sluggish, passing girl a pat on the shoulder and remarked quietly, "You're doing great!  Keep going!"  She quickened her pace, and I cheered some more.
Emma finished the run with a smile and headed directly for the Snow Cone Tent.  She was the only runner from our family today, but we all felt that by noisily encouraging the 250+ determinedly running 3rd-5th grade girls, we became a part of it all.  What a wonderful morning!  What a wonderful program Girls on the Run is!  Next year Sophia is determined to finish her first 5K, and Lili might even have a go at the Tot Trot.  Emma is definitely up for it again...especially if there are Snow Cones waiting at the finish line.

GO GIRLS!!

No comments: