Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Everything is Better in the Summertime

Summer was a bit late to arrive this year.  When I last sat down to write, there was a bit of panic coursing through my fingers as they tapped on the keyboard.  I was suffocating under a blanket of doubt.  Would summer ever properly arrive?  I felt that I urgently needed to leave the country and possibly leave the state of Michigan permanently.  I didn't know if I could cope for one more day without the warm sun on my face.

Shortly after I wrote about escaping back to Great Britain (a foolish retreat location for a sun seeker), summer finally did arrive, and ever since I have been happily drowning in it.  I cannot begin to describe how much better everything is during the warm, sunny, summer months for me.  I am still myself.  I do not suddenly have organized drawers or find myself cheerfully putting away fresh smelling stacks of folded laundry early each morning.   I am still an introvert who feels more than a bit grumbly and frayed after a long day of listening to three very chatty children who are all home on summer vacation.

The difference in the summertime is that I am not depressed.  I am not wracked with guilt over the fact that I'd like to stay in bed all day.  I am relaxed, more energized, and happy.  On lazy days (because what could be more fabulous than a lazy, summer day?), I do not berate myself over the fact that I didn't get enough accomplished.  Instead I sigh contentedly and admire my tan lines.  Oh Summer, please say you'll never leave!
My creativity also experiences a re-birth of sorts in the summer months.  I derive great joy from planning events and activities for my family and friends.  I do my best to store up inspiration for the cold months, and even though I can see it so clearly in my mind's eye today, while the summer sun charges my dendrites and synapses, I never do seem to pull off super fun, themed celebrations in the dead of winter.

Like, Oh My Gosh!  This is totally NOT what I look like in February, which is completely BOGUS!

So while it lasts, I will continue to enjoy my favorite season.  And when it's over, I will try to be gentler with myself, and I will not give up on finding new coping strategies to help me combat the paralyzing cold-weather despair that envelopes me.

And that brings me back to my original point.  Last night I finally concluded that I should save my great overseas jaunt for a "rainy day" since I know for a fact that those days are coming.  Here and now I am oh so happy and content in Michigan, but in several months, I will be climbing the walls again, and it will be lovely to have a trip to the British countryside as a treat to look forward to.  In fact regularly scheduled treats and getaways are a big part of my survival strategy for next winter (plus the usual light therapy, diet and exercise, and possibly prescription drugs).

So British friends, my feelings for you haven't changed a bit.  I'm still planning a journey, but just a bit later on.  Honestly I don't know how you've manage to cope all this time without me.  Order me a pint and ploughman's and I'll be along before you know it...
 
...and stay happy!


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Sinead's friend, she pointed me in the directon of your blog :)

Just wanted to let you know that we have summer too and it's currently around 26C at 6.30pm in Cardiff! I know, right!

Beth x