Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sprang Cleaning!

The urge to do spring cleaning hit me today. Since I am suddenly no longer overwhelmed with being theatrical or planning tremendous PTA events, there was nothing to distract me from the complete and utter mess my house has become. And since the today was a particularly sunny winter's day, all of the dust and dirt was shockingly visible. So...moments after I got out of bed this morning, I found myself scrubbing the bathroom sink and tub, and boy, did it ever feel good. I got my room in tip top shape only to come downstairs and find a disastrous mess waiting to greet me there.

So that is what I've been up to today. A dent has been made and I feel confident that we will have a house we won't be ashamed of before long. I did manage to take a few breaks from cleaning today. At one point I took a shower myself and then got right back to scrubbing. It probably isn't the most sensible idea to vacuum one's house while dressed only in one's underwear in a house as full of windows as mine is, but I was a woman on a mission. I became obsessed with the need to Hoover up the bits and bobbles before I had a chance to dress myself. Luckily no one came calling. I did catch a horrifying glimpse of myself in the mirror at one point. My wild hair was still wet from the shower and I was furiously pumping the vacuum cleaner across the floor. It's a wonder my children weren't cowering under their beds. It was at this point that I realized something rather important. With the morning sun streaming through the windows, I could clearly see that body glitter and stretch marks do not mix. Note to self: get rid of that sparkly body lotion; give it to a twenty year old who has never had children. Yikes!

I also managed to get out briefly in the car for a trip up to the mini-Tesco in Criegiau. It was such a lovely sunny day. The sheep were in the meadow crunching on frost-covered grass and I was singing along with my newly- acquired Kenny Rogers/ Dolly Parton Christmas CD. I was a happy girl. Life as usual is a very good thing. I am happy to be done with plays and fayres and ready to re-assume the everyday boring tasks of cooking, cleaning, and doing laundry. I'm sure that after Christmas I will get the itch to take on another outside project, but for now I am as happy as a possum pooping persimmon seeds.

No comments: