Thursday, December 4, 2008

Who IS this Girl?!!

I just had the loveliest time cwtched up in bed with my daughter Emma. She read to me; we chatted and looked at photo albums for nearly an hour. After asking her to describe a normal day in her life at school, I found myself thinking, "This is not the same daughter I had a few months ago!" She is growing and changing so much, and her long legs and missing teeth are not the only evidence. I was shocked by the sophisticated way in which she described her perceptions of a day in the life of Emma. Wow!

Near the end of our time together, the conversation somehow shifted to an unusual topic with Emma asking, "Is it possible for a thirteen year old to get pregnant?" (Yes, leave it to Emma.) I answered yes, but that I wasn't going to discuss the details of it right then. Emma replied (as serious as a heart attack),
"But, Mom, I AM a young lady!"
"Emma," I said, "You're only six."
"Yes," she replied, "But I will be seven before you know it!"
Oh my...do I ever know it!! Sieze the day, y'all, because tomorrow your baby will be all growed up!!

No comments: