Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Emma's Questions For Today...

"Does Jesus mind that Muslims don't believe He's God's son?"

My stumbling response that basically boiled down to: I don't think we as humans can understand God's mercy or his knowledge about people's hearts, and it might as well have been: Duh, I don't know.

Also how about, "Mom, Jesus and God aren't the same person, right? I mean I'm not George, but I am his child."

Her questions are way above my pay grade here! How does one explain the concept of the Trinity to a seven year old. I'd be more inclined to ask her to explain it to me. She seems to have a much better grasp on these things than I do. I got in way over my head when trying to explain Judaism, Christianity and Islam to her. Throw in polytheism, and we were drowning. I could tell things weren't going well by the end of it when she said, "What's up with Moses? I don't think I believe in him at all!"

I joke, of course, because the discussion wasn't a failure at all, just a reminder of how little I understand about everything. The fact that she's asking these questions now is nothing but good. The fact that she is also learning now that there are few simple answers, is also good.

I still have one of her Sunday school papers (from when she was about 4 years old) taped up in my office. At the top the question is posed, "What do you think about God?" Emma's writing beneath reads simply, "God is good." So she's had the basics down for a while now.

No comments: