Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!

I spent my birthday and the preceding weekend in a beautiful little 300 year old cottage in West Wales. George quickly learned, after banging his poor head several times on the low door frames, that people WAS shorter back then!! Here are just a few of my favourite photos from our journey...

Above Emma and Sophie are enjoying the lovely garden at the cottage where we stayed.
They LOVED this garden, and who could blame them?!

We spent a blissful day in St. David's exploring the cathedral, castle, local cuisine and seaside.

Sophie is a girl after my own heart. We dined in lots of lovely restaurants and, since it was my birthday weekend, we sampled desserts or puddings with every meal. Sophie is pictured above with a heavenly, warm sticky toffee pudding from the Stackpole Inn. Other favourite puddings included a banana toffee and fresh ginger pavlova, lemon lime cheesecake, and hot apple and rhubard crumble with ice cream. Stick a fork in me, y'all!


This picture just makes me smile. Emma and Sophie really do enjoy each other's company so much. Their personalities are so different, but they love each other to the ends of the earth. Here they are having what looks like a rather serious chat in front of the impressive Pembroke Castle, which was just round the corner from our cottage.


And finally...what a lovely place to spend my birthday. We couldn't resist posing in front of these gorgeous hydrangeas at the Cwm Deri Vineyard, a completely lovely place to have a birthday lunch. The views from the vineyard were spectacular, and Emma and Sophie enjoyed racing around the farm, dodging all of the ducks, hens, and roosters.


As always, as nice as it is to get away, it's even nicer to come back home to one's own bed...especially when you're in the last trimester of pregnancy and have trouble getting comfortable at night anyway. Tonight I will enjoy my big bed. I will also enjoy NOT having to climb over sleeping children on an inflatable mattress in the hallway when I get up to go to the bathroom multiple times. Dorothy said it best, "There really is no place like home!"

No comments: