Monday, August 3, 2009

Just A Bit of Sweetness

This morning when I was loading the kids into the car to go to Sport Stars Camp, Sophie said to Emma, "You are my best, favorite sister in the whole world... but only for a little while longer. Soon I will have TWO best, favorite sisters!" I felt my evil heart melting away just a bit right then and there.

Everyone is getting excited about our new baby. George and I did some online shopping for baby gear last night, and I have been picking up a few little bits and bobs here and there when I'm out and about. There is something truly wonderful about tiny little socks and onesies and cardigans. After noticing that there seemed to be a bit of angst over Sophie losing her title as the "baby of the family," I followed the brilliant and simple advice of my friend Molly who is a mother of five and has some experience with the matter. We no longer refer to anyone as "the baby of the family." Instead all of the kids are "my babies." This seems to be a very satisfying and reassuring thing for my children hear. Every now and again, a little girl will ask me, "Who is the baby of the family?" The response, "You are all my babies," always elicits big smiles and hugs.

On a positive note, this mama got a much needed break today since the girls were at camp for a few hours. After a solo trip to our local ASDA (think American Super Walmart), I felt as though I had been at sports camp. I came home ravenous and devoured a punnet of strawberries and then made myself two huge burritos filled with the works. I might have also eaten half of an organic chocolate bar ('organic' totally means it's healthy--do not even argue with this) and two granola bars as well, but who's counting.

Emma and Sophie came out of camp filthy, happy, covered in purple glitter, and all in one piece. It was a good day. Three more days of camp to go... whatever will I do with all of the quiet??

No comments: