Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Feed Me Till I Want No More

The words of the unofficial Welsh national anthem seem to be a woefully appropriate description of my eating habits these days. The third trimester cravings are coming hard and fast. Last Friday evening we were all innocently watching a movie together, when the desire for peanut butter cookies overwhelmed me. I was in the kitchen whizzing up butter, sugar, eggs, flour and peanut butter before anyone knew what had hit them. The cookies were all gone by the end of the weekend along with buckets of milk that I required each time I feasted on them.

On Sunday, I spied a gorgeous carrot cake in the display case of the cafĂ© where we had lunch, and that was all it took for the cake obsession to dig its claws in. Unfortunately I didn’t have the ingredients on hand at home to make the proper cream cheese frosting required for a good carrot cake, so I somehow satiated my desire with pecan waffles instead. Carrot cake will undoubtedly be making its way onto the agenda soon. Even as I type this, my heart is all a flutter.

Yesterday I found that, after a thoroughly exhausting shopping trip, I was desperate for a good homemade burrito. As tuckered out as I was, I dragged my enormous bootie into the kitchen and cooked up the beef and beans and prepared all of the toppings you could ever want. And, no, of course, I didn’t stop with just one burrito. Be serious.

Food is my friend these days. Unfortunately it’s the kind of friend that likes me back and wants to take up residence on my thighs, but that is something I will worry about later. With my enormous belly, I can barely even see my thighs these days, so there isn’t much point worrying about it all really.

I did read today in my pregnancy book that I should be eating spinach, strawberries, brown rice, eggs and onions as they all are excellent sources of manganese, which is essential for bone and joint development at this stage of pregnancy. These are all things I have been craving and eating, so maybe there is something positive to be said about these hormonal cravings. I was, however, extremely disappointed not to find ‘chocolate’ on the list of things I should be eating. Never mind though… I’m sure I read somewhere that chocolate is full of healthy flavenoids and antioxidants. Arguing with me about this is futile.

Aha! Here is a completely fabulous link I just stumbled upon which completely supports my chocolate theory: 7 Benefits of Pregnancy . So there.

Manga, and a happy Tuesday to you all. It’s another day of Sports Stars for the kids today and a few hours of peace and quiet for me. I am a happy mom.

1 comment:

David Carson said...

Absolutely fabulous! I love reading your blog. The candid and witty writing is mentally stimulating and makes me laugh because I know how true it all is!