Thursday, August 27, 2009

Girls Gone Wild!!

Isn't it time to head back to school?? My girls are ready, and I am doubly ready! They have so much more energy than I do these days. I feel as though their batteries are supercharged, and they need something structured to help them channel it more productively...and sensibly. Only one more week!! I think we can make it...especially since George arrived home this morning well before he was expected. We could hardly contain our excitement when he pulled up before 10 am.

I did manage to get the girls off to a morning holiday club at the Methodist church for a couple of hours so that their Dad could catch up on his sleep and have some peace and quiet. While they crafted and sang about Michael rowing his boat ashore, George slept, and I unpacked his suitcases for him. Wouldn't you know the boy did some Stateside shopping. He brought back some American essentials like mac and cheese, Twizzlers, and grits. He also picked out lots of cute tiny little pink, flowery onesies for our much anticipated new little Carson girl.

I enjoy the idea of my husband browsing the baby clothes and selecting the ones with flowers and butterflies. I decided to do my first "baby wash" this afternoon, and Sophie just came in and saw all of the little pink pajamas, hats, onesies and cardigans hanging on the drying rack. Her squealy, cooing reaction to seeing them was about as cute as can be tolerated.

Anyway... back to our morning... after the holiday club, I decided we ought to give George a little more time to rest, so I took the girls over to Castell Coch. Even though we have explored it many times, it continues to be a fun adventure. At one point, we were about to climb down a very winding, narrow staircase, when Emma announced very loudly to everyone in the corridor, "Mom, I don't know about all of these stairs... they might not be good for your uterus!" Sophie echoed just as loudly but with a few added giggles,

"Yeah, your uterus!!... Mum, what is a uterus?"


(Girls Gone Wild Medieval Style)

Luckily my uterus fared well, but I was well knackered by the time we had explored the majority of the castle. We, in fact, had to skip the ladies' bedrooms upstairs in the end since I didn't think my body could take any more fiddly staircases. And since we weren't the only ones who thought exploring Castell Coch would be a brilliant idea today, we had to forgo lunch in the tea room; it was absolutely heaving with people. We opted instead for a very civilized lunch in our local Italian cafe, where we all desperately tried to behave like young ladies and almost managed it... nearly.

Back at home, we found George awake and very happy to see us all. Just having him back home has given me a bit more energy to deal with all of the usual madness. We all need somebody to lean on.

No comments: