Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Joe Mama Versus the Volcano

I have not been feeling exceedingly inspired about writing lately despite the fact that the weather here has been very beautiful and inspiring.  I have been trying to get out and take walks as much as possible this week.  Walks with friends are always preferred, but today it was just me and Lil and my iPod.  Justin Timberlake is still my boo.

I think I have had a lot on my mind.  My brain has been reeling over all of this "Icelandic volcanic ash chaos."  I have been watching the BBC a little too much.  We got lucky in that we got back into the UK the day before Eyjafjallajokull erupted.  Our travel plans weren't affected at all, but my heart goes out to all of those who have been stranded for days and days... especially those with young children.  Travel with little people is harrowing enough when all goes according to plan.

I've also been thinking about the fact that George is supposed to return to the US without us again in June, and I just cannot cope with the idea of him getting stuck over there and being unable to return if this volcano does its thing again.  If we get stranded, I think we should do it together as a family.  I'm also not sure I believe these airlines, who have lost billions of dollars, when they swear that travel is perfectly safe again. You see, I am really not interested in being that guinea pig who proves them right or wrong.  Hmmm, yes, so I have been obsessing about all of this a little. 

We were hoping to holiday in Italy this summer before we returned to the States, but now I am feeling a bit reluctant.  I am a worrier.  At night I dream about volcanos and flying... and sometimes vampires too.  It is better to dream about Italy and sunshine and fat, happy babies.

Speaking of... I do have one of those.  Lili is growing up like crazy without any sign that she intends to slow down.  She now sits well on her own and can busy herself with toys whilst I scrub the toilet.  It's a fascinating life that we lead.  She is rather stingy with her big, belly laughs, but if you kill yourself trying to be hilarious, she will throw you a bone with a light-hearted giggle.  Never fear, however, for she is truly a very happy monkey.  We know this because she is not at all stingy with her (extremely loud and vociferous) screams of delight.  The girl can let loose with some serious shrieks as well as delighted growls when the mood strikes.  Sophie and Emma say she can impersonate nearly all of the animals found in the rainforest.   These are her main party tricks at the moment, but I can tell from that gleam in her eye, that she is working on something new, which will  be emerging soon... or is that just the creamy cauliflower she had for lunch??

p.s.  Lil also claps her hands on demand (sometimes), which totally makes her a genius, right?  I thought so.

No comments: