Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Week of Firsts



As suggested by my title up there, this was a week of firsts: the first full week of school, my first attempt at a Jazzercise class, my first neighborhood Bunco game, and wasn't there something else??  Oh yes, Lili took her very first baby steps!

School seems to be going well.  Emma and Sophie have both been excited to go to their school's library, and both are into new book series now: The Fire Within (Emma) and The Littles (Sophia).  Sophie also reports that she "LOVES ART"!  So school is good.

Jazzercise is hardly noteworthy since I have been a big fan of aerobics classes for many years now.  I enjoyed the class.  I did not, however, enjoy hearing Lili screaming her head off in the nursery room everytime there was a break in the music.  What am I going to do with that girl?  She loves her mama entirely too much.

Bunco, a completely mindless dice game, was good fun and gave me a chance to meet and mingle with lots of my neighbor ladies.  I was the only native Southerner in the crowd, and I think they appreciated my different perspective.

Oh yeah... what else was there?  Lili's first steps!  Of course.  These very small and timid baby steps earlier this week were most certainly coaxed out of her by her Daddy.  In fact without his cheer leading, she hasn't really attempted much stepping since that first evening.  Lili reminds me so much of her big sister Emma as a baby.  Emma certainly had the strength and ability to walk at a much earlier age, but held out until around 15 months. Even when she could walk, she would stand with her arms reaching upward while crooning her favorite demand, "YOU CARRY!!"

On Monday when she did take those first steps, Lil was obviously totally impressed with herself.  She continually lost her balance and fell back onto her bottom because she was excitedly applauding herself.  I really tried to get a photo, but this was the best I could do...

It's just poor photography.  She wasn't actually walking THAT fast!



On Friday, we were all surprised to see hot air balloons all over the Midland sky.  We later discovered that it was the 20th anniversary of the Midland Hot Air Balloon Festival, and it was very cool.  There were countless balloons, and it was just beautiful.


We have enjoyed a very laid back weekend, and even though she hasn't expressed all that much interest in walking since her initial excited attempt, Lili continues to remind us that she's still the boss...

"Buy me something sparkly, Dad?"

No comments: