Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Birth of a Comedian

I have always been fascinated with birth order studies.  All that I have read declare that last born babies are prone to fall into the role of class clown or family comedian.  I think those behavioral researchers are on to something, by golly!

Lili LOVES to make us laugh, and she often has a completely smitten audience here at our house.  Noticing how excited I become when she addresses me as "mama," she now calls everyone at our house "mama."  This is reinforced since Sophie and Emma  laugh in response and hug her while saying, "I'm not mama.  I'm Sophie/Emma!!"

Lili has also learned that laughter is contagious.  She belly laughs ridiculously anytime we are laughing just so she can be a part of the fun.  She will often bring forth a chesty "HA HA HA!" anytime things get a bit boring and inevitably one or all of us will join her in laughter.

She has also gleaned that sweet little smoochy kisses are always positively received.  Sometimes when I am distracted or involved in a task that does not involve Lili (Imagine that!), she will climb up and hug me tightly and plant a delectable little smooch on my leg, arm or cheek.  You can be sure that she then has my undivided attention and at least a few moments of adoration.

This week we all agreed that Lili's first official word is "peek-a-boo," or at least her version of the  phrase which sounds like "Teek-ahhh!"  "Teek-ahh!" always follows the revealing of a crazily grinning face that has been hidden under a blanket or behind wee chubby hands.  It isn't any surprise that Lili's "Teek-ahhh!" is always met with a cheerful mirrored reply.

Now don't get me wrong; we still have our fair share of tears, clinging, crying and boo-hoo-drama.  This week in fact Lili has run a fever off and on, snotted on nearly everything in the house, and kept George and me up at night with her miserable nonsense.  Inevitably at about four in the morning, after we have calmed her crying, dried her tears, cleaned up the snot, gotten her a drink and settled her down quietly in our bed between us, we will hear, out of the silence, an elfin voice exclaim, "Teek-ahh!"

Oh Brother!  We have created a very cute and comical monster.
Teek-Ahhh!!

No comments: