Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Family Ham

This weekend involved all sorts of seasonal festiveness. On Friday evening, we (nearly) finished decorating our tree with well-loved ornaments from Christmases past and a few new ones.  We are unfortunately no longer feeling enamored with the blue spruce which bleeds sap, drops needles like crazy and has to be handled with gardening gloves unless one doesn't mind being stabbed bloody.  But Happy Christmas anyway.  The tree still looks pretty and provides endless temptation for little Lili.

Last night we all went Christmas shopping and didn't get home until WAY past bedtime.  As I tucked a very sleepy Sophie into bed, she was half mumbling, half singing, "Mary had a baby. Yes, Lord.  Mary had a baby. Yes, my lord..."

And this morning we all woke up (a little later than usual) and found a wonderfully sparkly blanket of snow covering the outside world.  This afternoon we are looking forward to the children's Christmas pageant at church.  The North Carolinian in me is still baffled by the fact that life here continues to go on when there are about five inches of snow on the ground and the white stuff is still falling.  I'm guessing I will embrace the Michigan mindset eventually.

The weekend event that most impressed the little girls at this house was yesterday's Christmas cookie making.  Christmas cookies, in case you weren't aware, are not healthy.  Yesterday I learned to simply accept this fact.  Our attempt at healthy whole wheat gingerbread bears resulted in somewhat disgusting hilarity.  In the end it was nothing a little partially hydrogenated, rocket propelled spray frosting couldn't remedy.


Lesson learned, we opted for the considerably less healthy and more delicious traditional sugar cookies.  I suppose the sugar rush affected me.  I became so wrapped up in the Christmas cookie excitement that I decided to deliciously decorate Sophia a little bit...


It looks like fun, doesn't it?  Emma thought so... so I had to decorate her a little as well...


Of course I should have realized that The Family Ham was closely scrutinizing all of this fun.  The Family Ham cannot stand to be left out of any sort of fun.  The Family Ham took matters into her own hands...


Happy Christmas from our Family's Ham.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My vegan gingerbread cookie recipe is actually super easy to use (and as long as you use older ginger powder, it's not too gingery).
The vegan version seems to be easier to work with than the one with eggs.

(Let me know if you're interested.)