Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why D'ya Have to Go and Make Things So Complicated?

Valentine's Day used to be for lovers, right?  When I was a kid in elementary school, we gave out little paper cards, and somebody's mama would bring in cookies and juice.  This all took about half an hour out of our school day, and then we went right back to our math worksheets.  We knew that grown ups might have a night out on the town with champagne, roses and chocolates because Valentine's Day was primarily about romantic love, something that we, as 4th graders, had no interest in.
Somehow this has all changed.  I do not have issues with the fact that the holiday has metamorphosed into a day that embraces children as well as lovers, but I do think that we have taken Valentine's Day for children way over the top.  Yesterday at school my kids had parties that included elaborate games (Cupid's archery, anyone?), craft projects, a sugar-laden refreshment buffet, and scads of trashy, plastic party favors.  The kids all gave each other not only paper cards, but also candy and even more plastic rubbish.  I'm sorry.  Do I sound grouchy?

I keep telling my kids those, "Back When I Was Your Age..." stories, and they listen sympathetically.  I told them last week, "Now I feel like if I want to do a little something for you for Valentine's Day, it will mean nothing because at school everyone gets a personal chocolate fountain and a pony with wings.  My small gesture will mean nothing."  Poor mom.

I decided to take Valentine's Day in a different direction this year.  None of my children needed any presents, but they did appreciate my time and thoughtfulness.  The night of February 13th, I got busy cutting out colorful construction paper hearts.  Then I covered each girls' bathroom mirror with loving Valentine affirmations...

Emma wasn't supposed to see her mirror until the morning, but since she is a night owl and requires only about half as much sleep as I do, she stood in her bathroom and took it all in at about 11 pm.  The next morning she told me, "I went to bed feeling so happy and loved after I read all of those things."  Then my big rock star of a nine-year-old said, "Thank you, Mommy."
so...  Happy Valentine's Day to me!

After school Sophie went to a friend's house for more sugar and giggling.  That meant that I was able to spend some quality time with my oldest girl.  Despite what any of them may tell you, quality time is the gift your kids want the most... but you, of course, know that.  Quality time is especially enjoyable when it incorporates chocolate, and while you are busy "having quality time," your kids will tell you their deepest, darkest secrets.  True story.  Yesterday after school my daughter Emma and I made these adorable (and delicious) little treats together...
 
...and she told me a few secrets.

My husband and I also did a few nice things for each other, but he has never been an exceptionally big fan of Valentine's Day.  He enjoys being romantic on days when it isn't expected.  So neither of us mind sharing the love with the shorter people who live at our house.  We just like to share it in simpler, less commercialized ways.  Dad always brings all of his girls flowers on Valentine's Day, and we don't discourage that one bit!

"I'll love you, dear, I'll love you till China and Africa meet and the river jumps over the mountain and the salmon sing in the street." W. H. Auden

Happy Valentine's Day, Friends.
Love, Meredith

No comments: