Saturday, March 24, 2012

We Had Ourselves a Tea Party Today!

No, I am certainly not talking politics for heaven's sake.  We had the kind of tea party with little cakes and tea sandwiches and pots filled with lemonade (since my daughter Sophia correctly assumed that her eight-year-old friends would want nothing to do with proper hot tea).  The last big birthday party we had for Sophie happened when she turned five.  It was a pirate-themed party.  There were lots of boys and girls there, and it was energetic and wonderful.  There was plenty of energy at today's party also, but the guests were all female and slightly older and wiser.  Prior to the party the guest of honor and her big sister were supremely helpful, and that was a very pleasant change!

First thing this morning we made two full trays of chocolate-dipped strawberries, and when we sat down to tea, these were devoured almost instantly by the eight little girls sitting round the table.  I managed to snag one of them, and it was perfectly wonderful.  So simple and delicious.  We also toasted with tea cups filled with lemonade and enjoyed a variety of petite finger foods before the cupcake tree was brought out.  Some of the kids were a bit skeptical about my homemade chocolate buttercream frosting.  It just didn't have that plasticky, partially hydrogenated flavor they know and love.  Oh well.
My favorite photo of the day!

I'm pretty sure that the only eight year old who cared anything about the "fancy" table and all of the thought that went into the place settings was the birthday girl herself, and that is just fine because it was all for her.  I love that she was as thrilled and excited that we were using my late grandmother Adeline's depression glass plates, cups and saucers.  She ooh-ed and ahh-ed over the floral arrangement, pretty tea pots, color coordinated napkins, and tablecloth.  And when everyone was gone, she hugged me and said, "Mom, I really loved my party!"  Be still, my heart.
Of course her actual birthday isn't until next weekend, so don't think for a minute that we are all finished celebrating this fabulous little lady.

"Your children need your presence more than your presents." ~Jesse Jackson

No comments: