Monday, March 23, 2009

Make Them Walk the Plank!


Know what the best part of a child's birthday party is? It's the moment just after all of the children have left. I don't mean that I didn't enjoy Sophie's fabulous pirate soiree, but the best bit for me was basking in the afterglow. Everyone went home smiling and in one piece, and I realized that we did a really good job! The weather was beautiful, the kids were happy, and everyone seemed to have a genuinely good time. At no time did complete chaos break out. A successful party indeed.

I think my favorite thing about the party was the treasure/ scavenger hunt designed by George, and since it was the last item on the agenda, it was, according to all the mommies at school this morning, the thing that all the kids went home talking about. George cleverly designed a series of ancient looking treasure maps which led the children all around our house and garden and eventually to a chest in our living room which contained everyone's goody boxes of pirate treats to take home. Perfection!

Sophie, of course, made it clearly known what a lovely time she had and gushed with gratitude for the rest of the afternoon, so all in all, we had a really lovely day. Now, of course, we get to celebrate again when it is her REAL birthday on the 31st of March. It is important to draw these things out. I am quite excited about the idea of making a summer berry trifle for the occasion since there seems to be a profusion of berries available in the Tesco these days. This will make me quite happy and when mama's happy, the land is happy.


In other news, Emma has been quite keen to discuss her future birthday party plans. Less than half an hour had passed after Sophie's party and she was busy scheming and planning her own birthday bash. She has decided she wants to have a nature-themed art party, and I think that opens us up to loads of possiblities. I am currently envisioning lots of little girls gathered round my dining room table painting ceramic flower pots and such... but, as I keep telling Emma, there is plenty of time to think on this.

No comments: