Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes

Poor Sophie had a rough day yesterday. She needs a holiday. She didn't want to go into school in the morning. I practically had to force her through the door. Not fun for me. At the end of the day, when she came racing out the door, she shoved a piece of paper in my face which she had written on detailing her thoughts throught the day. It said the following:" i want my mum! i want Emma! I want my lam!!: (Translated, I need a day off and a cuddle with Lambie.)

Things didn't get much better when we got home. She and Emma were at each other's throats over the usual nonsense. (i.e. Give that back. It's mine. Not yours!) I had to chuckle to myself when I was folding laundry in the other room and heard Sophie stomping up the stairs and shouting back to Emma, "And don't EVEN apologize to me because I KNOW you're not really sorry!!" This was, of course, followed by the slamming of her bedroom door. Emma, who cannot stand to have anyone cross with her, tore up the stairs and began crooning through Sophie's door, "But I AM SORRY!!" When this didn't work, Emma thought she'd try out the guilt tactic with, "Sophie, sometimes I think you don't even care about me!!" Those of you without children must think this sounds awful...unless you grew up with a sibling who was very close to your own age. Moms and Dads, you know, it is typically best just to let them try to work these things out on their own.

I had play rehearsal last night and had to jet out the door as soon as George walked in. Luckily Emma and Sophie seemed to have worked out the drama at that point. When I arrived back home around 9:30, the house was silent. I took the opportunity to make today's lunchboxes, being sure to tuck in a few special birthday treats for Sophia. When I got upstairs to my room, I found Daddy Bear, Sister Bear, and Baby Bear all tucked up sound asleep in my bed. Bliss.

This morning George, Emma and I woke Sophie with a rousing round of "Happy Birthday to You..." and this got things off to a good start. In fact a few minutes later, Sophie was nearly bouncing off the walls with the excitement of being FIVE! We had to go to school early this morning for Emma's Judo class, so I packed several birthday stories in the car to read to Soph. I also pinned a big badge on her chest that says" TODAY It's My Birthday!!" On the way to school, Sophie mused in her Sophie-voice, "Wait, why am I so happy today?? Oh yeah, I remember!!" When it was finally time to go into school, she raced through the door eager to declare the big news to anyone who cared to listen. What a difference a day makes!

In other news there was some excitement in Emma's class yesterday as the kids got to watch two baby chicks hatch out of their eggs. One was white with a brown bottom and the other was brown spotted according to Emma. There are still several more eggs to hatch, and this had been a much anticipated event. Emma was quite surprised my how long it took the eggs to hatch...not like in the cartoons.

I will post pictures later of Sophie's birthday dinner. She has requested that we have dinner out in an Italian Cafe. How civilized! So Cafe Latina, here we come! More later...

Happy Birthday, Sophie!!

No comments: