Saturday, October 26, 2013

Birthday Bake Off!

Last night I was invited to help out with a "Birthday Bake Off" party hosted by my friend Allison for her daughter's twelfth birthday.  She claims she was inspired by a home baking challenge we had here at our house the night before school started.  (You can read about our Sweet Genius Baking Challenge HERE.)  But 'inspiring' is about the only thing for which I can take credit.  She hosted a glorious party in our church's big kitchen where eleven girls and one excited boy created twelve unique and beautiful cakes.  I teamed up with my nine-year-old daughter Sophia to create this simple and wonderful "Trip Down Lemon Lane" cake.


 Allison created a fanciful and gratifying birthday party that her daughter Natalie will never forget.  All twelve kids got to take home a one-of-a-kind cake made by themselves to share with their families.  "Brilliant!" I declare.


Last night's fun has sent the cogs and wheels in my head a-turning.  My favorite, up-for-anything, smack-talking, competitive brother-in-law is coming to town for Christmas in nine weeks.  Yes, I just counted, and I think I am about to throw down the gauntlet.  It may be high time for some sort of Christmas Baking Smackdown.

So...stay tuned.

No comments: