Saturday, March 6, 2010

Self Discipline

Earlier today I walked into my lounge and found two very cross looking girls sitting on either side of our long sofa.  "What's wrong?"  I asked, and, of course, Emma chimed in:

"We have put ourselves in a Time Out.  Sophie and I were being really mean to each other and shouting at each other, so we have to sit here in silence until that timer stops."  She indicated a three-minute hourglass style egg timer on the coffee table.

This was all news to me.  Several minutes earlier when I had been in to check on them, they had set up the card table and were playing a very civilized game of Go Fish.  I completely missed the mean behavior and shouting, but I was extremely impressed by this unusual display of conflict resolution.  When the sand ran out, Sophie stood up and cooed, "Sorry, Emma." Emma was also sorry, and the two girls hugged and decided to play a different card game next.

Was I in the Twilight Zone?  What happened in my living room?  Whatever it was, I'll take some more of that any time!!

"More than Santa Claus, your sister knows when you've been bad and good." ~Linda Sunshine

1 comment:

Tiaras and Timeouts said...

WOW!! Sounds just like our Work It Out Or Sit It Out. The only difference is that my girls have never put themselves there on their own! You have trained your girls well!!!