Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Does She Get Dinosaur DNA Too?


A couple of weeks ago I asked my friends if anyone knew anything about amber teething necklaces for babies.  No one responded, so I just assumed that nobody knew what the heck I was on about.  I came across these on the Interwebs when I was searching for a teeth-able pendant that I could wear and that Lili could chew on.  I thought this might come in handy on flights, or at the grocery store, or any number of other places.  So... when I Googled: teething necklaces, these amber baby necklaces kept popping up in my searches.

Supposedly the oils in the amber resin act as a natural analgesic when worn next to baby's warm skin.  This is apparently an old, tried and true European remedy for teething pains in babies.  My curiosity got the best of me, and the necklace, which is totally cute anyway, only cost me about ten pounds sterling, so I ordered one.  Lili has been wearing it for about five or six days.  She was a terrible mess last week and had a nasty cold, and I have to admit that since she has been wearing this doggone necklace, she has been a little more pleasant and has been sleeping better.  (She doesn't wear the necklace while sleeping at night, of course.  Please don't email me about the dangers of choking.  I know this.)  She still has the cold and lots of snot to go with it, but she does seem to be a little less miserable.

I'm not sure if I can attribute her mood improvement to the necklace or not, but it certainly hasn't hurt anything.  So...there you go.  This is my rather ambivalent review of our amber teething necklace.  I have read numerous reviews on the Internet written by parents who swear by them.  I'm not quite as gung ho, but we will carry on with it... just in case it is helpful.

In other news... Sophie has lost another tooth, and Emma seems to be getting along a little better with the girls in school this week thanks to some conversations I've had with other mothers.  We are continuing to make arrangements for our move.  This includes selling all kinds of junk from our house here.  Anybody need a lamp?  How about a coffee table?  Better yet, how about a 2005 Ford Focus??  Call me.  We'll talk.

Enjoy the week wherever you are...

No comments: