Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ladies Who Lunch

We are a bit out of sorts here lately since our George is working so much.  Hopefully his big project will be completed soon, and we can get back to our usual family shenanigans.  Until then we girls are doing our best to enjoy girly time and girly days out when possible.  Lately I am starting to feel a melancholy tugging at my heart each time we have a particularly "British" day out.    Today was no exception when we decided to trot over to our local castle (Castell Coch) for lunch and a poke around.  We took just a few photos, but maybe not enough.  As we were driving home, I wondered if that would be our last visit.  I had a lovely chat with two of the Cadw workers on staff today, and one of them told me, "Don't worry, Lovely. Even if you go back to America, Wales isn't going anywhere.  We will still be here if you want to come back and visit."  True. True.  But I do find myself getting sentimental over funny things.

I had to take a photo of this plaque in the tea room and think that it surely must apply to our Lili.  In case you cannot read it, it says: To be born Welsh is to be born privileged, not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but with music in your heart and poetry in your soul.

Lili very much enjoyed the Welsh fare in the tea room today, waking up from her nap to eat almost as much vegetable cawl (soup) as I did!  Lush!

There are definitely some traditions we will be taking back with us.  These two certainly enjoy an afternoon spot of tea with cake or biscuits, and I don't expect that to change.

1 comment:

JaclynJohnson said...

such beautiful girls! and yay for Lili being such a great eater!