Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Beauty of Snow

I continue to learn about myself.  I have struggled with wintertime blues for several years, but up here in Michigan the snow actually seems to be helping me.  For one thing it reflects the sunlight, and this is major since we all determined while living in the UK that the absence of sunshine is what drives me into the depths of apathy.  But in addition to simply magnifying that all-important light, it also happens to be beautiful.  There is something wonderful about rocking a warm baby in the big red rocking chair while looking out her bedroom window and seeing hundreds of snowflakes fall gleefully toward earth.  Falling snow is so much more pleasant than the weeping frigid rain that saturated my last five winters.

Falling snow is truly joy-inducing for me.  This morning when I was driving with Lili to my Jazzercise class, I got so tickled seeing the multitude of snowflakes hurtling toward the windshield that I honestly had to pull the car over and laugh for about thirty seconds before I could safely drive again.  My drive through the falling snow gave me the same sensation that I get when I am at the top of a roller coaster.  Crazy, I know, but crazy is WAY better than lethargic and depressed.

So today in honor of the beautiful snow, I am including for your enjoyment, The Snowflake Poem which was brought to me by my lovely Sophia.  And I'll throw in a picture of her sweet face to boot.


The Snowflake Prayer
Thank You, God,
For the gift of winter.
For the cold frosty snow
And shimmering icicles,
For the frozen lakes and rivers,
And most of all for snowflakes,
Ever so beautiful, so special,
So one of a kind.
Let them remind me that
I am like that in Your eyes…
So beautiful, so special,
So one of a kind.
Thank You, God for snowflakes,
Thank You God, for me.
~Anonymous

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Awesome poem Sophia:) And again, love reading your blogs, I kind of felt like I was in Michigan when I read this one!

Why Momma Loves the Maxi Dress said...

Yes, crazy is WAY better then depressed...so glad to hear it: ) Did Sophia write that?

mamacarson said...

To clarify, My Sophia didn't write this poem herself. She brought it home from church and shared it with me.