Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Choir of Crickets at my Computer

All throughout the day I think of things that would be interesting to write about, and then I sit down here in the evening and listen to the imaginary sound of crickets chirping. I'd tie an ink pen around my neck and jot these brilliant ideas down on my arm when they occurred to me if it weren't for my precocious toddler who would immediately steal the pen and draw pictures of spaghetti on the wall.  I suppose if I didn't have such a wonderfully precocious toddler, I would just sit down at the computer and compose something brilliant when inspiration struck, but how annoyingly easy would that be?

So here I sit, waiting for Emma to come and declare that she is finished with all of her "getting ready for bed rituals," and that she is ready for her story.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets it  happens to be tonight.  Here I sit, wracking my brain for something interesting to tell you... Hmmmm....

I  have joined the church choir as of last Thursday evening.  Choir used to be such a huge part of my life, and I realized after sitting in that acoustically wonderful room and straining to reach those high soprano notes, that it has been a LONG time since this ole girl has done any real singing.  I have missed it.  Of course I never go a day without singing along with the radio or singing a lullaby or simply kitchen singing.  (You know "sung-to" vegetable soup just tastes better.)  But singing with a proper choir exercises a whole different set of vocal muscles.

Being a part of the church choir also means that I will get to have proper musical characters in my life again including the wonderful, larger than life choir director, Grace, and of course, the little old choir ladies.  You may know that there is a special place in my heart for "old ladies", and I use that term with great affection.  Having spent much time with my grandparents and their friends as a child, I developed a sincere affinity for geriatric companionship.  My brother in law tells me that I am an old lady in a "younger person's body."

All of that being said, the fact that I am now one of the youngest members of the Chancel Choir was not at all a deterrent for me when it came to joining.  This past Sunday Emma (my eight year old) came to the choir room with me for rehearsal before the early morning service.  She was impressed with our "Mum-um-um-um-um" warm ups and her visit to the choir loft at the front of the sanctuary.  The older members of the choir were impressed with her.  Celia, and adorable, diminutive alto with enormous glasses called out to her, "Do you sing, honey??" and without waiting for a response added, "Somebody get that girl in a robe!!"

On my way back up the hall after the service, Emma and I ran into (almost literally) Celia and Sally, another completely precious and tiny, elderly choir lady.  The latter was dwarfed by a three liter bottle of Pepsi that she was hugging to her chest.  Celia was looking guiltily over her shoulder as she shuffled purposefully back toward the choir room clutching an extra large box of ice cream sandwiches.  "Oh my goodness, ladies!!" I called out, "Is this the secret to all of your energy?"  The two of them giggled sheepishly and one of them answered,

"Yes, well we always have something in between the services.  I had some cookies at home, but I forgot them," she looked guiltily over her shoulder again and added, "I don't think anyone will mind..."   Then very quickly Celia opened the box as if it contained an illegal substance and said to Emma, "Would you like one?  I mean you DID come to choir today, so I think you can have one."  Of course Emma wanted one, and now she too loves the choir ladies.  When we got home, Sophia couldn't believe what a lousy choice it had been for her to stay at home with Dad and come to the evening service instead.  Choir rocks.

So how's that for the ramblings of someone with nothing to write about?  Hopefully I will be back again here again soon with or without something interesting to say...

1 comment:

Why Momma Loves the Maxi Dress said...

I adore a good choir experience. I grew up 'filling in the gaps' when my dad was a church music minister...which was for about 15 years. Ah, good times. I'm with you...I also had to go with the Senior citizen lady who visited all of the shut-in's, because I was cute and made them smile...or so they told me. IT instilled a lot of good things that have never left me...LONG LIVE THE OLD LADIES!!!