Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'll Have a Blue (Spruce) Christmas!

Hey Y'all.  Winter is arriving in Michigan, and it is COLD!  I opened the door this morning at ten minutes to eight to send my little darlings out the door and down to the end of the driveway to wait for the bus, and it felt as I though I had opened the door to an enormous freezer.  "Goodbye, my babies!  I love you!!" I shouted and quickly closed the door to block out the arctic weather.  Sending my kids to school in snow pants and snow boots is new territory for me.

I suppose all of this winter weather nicely accompanies our preparations for Christmas.  On Sunday evening after nursing my ruined "toddler back" all day, we decided to head out to a local tree farm and find the Carson family Christmas tree.  (Incidentally "toddler back" involves literally crippling back pain that results from hoisting on to one's hip and carrying a 20+ pound toddler all day every day.  It takes its toll after a while.  I had a brilliant case of it for at least a year starting around the time Sophie was Lili's age.)

When we left home, it was just beginning to snow.  By the time we carried our new tree out to our car, everything in sight was winter white.  We enjoyed perusing all of the trees at the farm.  Compared to North Carolina, Michigan has a much larger variety of trees from which to choose.  Emma nearly lost her mind with excitement and announced that she had found the PERFECT tree at least eight times.

My gang exploring the NC favorites, Frasier Firs

In the end, we decided to try out a new kind of tree, and an almost-perfect Blue Spruce came home with us.  In hind sight we may not have made the best choice considering the fact that its needles are ridiculously sharp and the fact that we currently have an E.T.-like toddler who has absolutely no sense wandering around our house licking everything.  Live and learn.  We didn't notice how sharp those needles were until we got home and put the tree in its stand.  It is awfully pretty and will likely be even prettier if we ever get around to decorating the thing.  Happy Christmas!!

Our first blue spruce.  Think we'll name him Elvis.

1 comment:

kim said...

so sorry, meredith, i have toddler back too! annoying, isn't it? gorgeous tree though!