Sunday, May 29, 2011

Evolving Conversation

I pretty much spend all day everyday with this little person...
Most of the time this is a lovely fate.  Occasionally I feel a little suffocated, but since it's my third time around on this toddler merry-go-round, I know that this smothering sensation is indeed only temporary.  I am really enjoying being present for the rapid verbal evolution of my little buddy.  Several months ago her vocabulary consisted of only three words: Milk, More and Mama, all urgent and essential "m" words.

Today she knows and says over 100 words.  Since she is my third, I have not bothered to make a list of them.  Sorry.  It is, however, very exciting to note that this ever-growing list of words results in less and less toddler-style frustration.  All people want to be heard and understood, and using one's words is a great first step.  Often when she is on the verge of a meltdown, I can stymie the tantrum by repeating her words/ feelings back to her.  For example, "Yes, I know!!  You want cake!!"  Her relieved "yes" discloses how encouraging it can feel to simply be understood.  Of course we do not live in a utopia.  Acknowledging the desire for cake, permanent magic markers, or a box of tiny beads does not always guarantee a perfectly content baby.  Perfectly content babies are so boring though, aren't they?

I also enjoy the fact that I can now have appropriate conversations with this little person who toddles around with me all day long.  Conversations usually go something like this...

Lili: MILK!!
Me: Would you like some milk?
Lili: YESH!!
Me: (handing her the milk) Here you go.
Lili: Day-doo.
Me:  You're welcome, lovely girl.  How about we go and sort the laundry now?
Lili: O-Tay!
Me: That sounds like fun, doesn't it?
Lili: YESH!

...And on it goes... all the live long day.  A not small part of me wishes she could stay little, just like this.

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today."  ~Stacia Tauscher