Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Humility

Mother's Day always makes me wonder if I am deserving of all of the praise that those Mother's Day greeting cards deliver.  I usually get handmade cards from my girls, and those are the very best.  This one from Sophia is very sweet...
It reveals two important facts.  First of all, she "apreshates" me, and secondly she listens.  She hears me complaining about how unappreciated I feel.  Children are not particularly appreciative by nature, so perhaps my complaints are constructively instructive or...er... is it just more likely that I enjoy complaining about picking everyone's socks up off of the floor?

Emma's card related the ultimate compliment...that I am "awesome" in addition to being loving and understanding.  I will accept all of those compliments even though I am pretty sure that there isn't anything literally awesome about me.  I love to read stories, sing silly moose songs, and bake unusual cupcakes, so that does earn me lots of mom points...but awesome??

I try.  That is all I can do.  It is nice to be celebrated.  Today no one reminded me of how grouchy I can be in the morning when I haven't had enough sleep.  They didn't bring up the fact that sometimes I lose my cool when I hear sisters constantly fighting with each other.  Honestly sometimes screaming, "STOP SCREAMING AT EACH OTHER!!"  is all a mama can manage, right?

Today I enjoyed a picnic in the sunshine with my husband and my three girls.  For a few hours today, everything was peaceful and pleasant and everyone indulged my "Did I ever tell you about the time I..." stories.  Today I felt loved and "apreshated" for all of the things that I seem to get right.  Tomorrow I will try to be more mindful about all of  those other things that need improvement.

Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: