Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pretty Peas

I love summertime.  I love the sunshine and the relaxing, unscheduled time with my children.  Summertime and me are like peas and carrots.  Know what I mean?  Summertime is an open-ended invitation to stumble onto silly, extraordinary wonderfulness posing as everyday nothingness.  Oh Summertime, take your shoes off and stay a while, won't you?

This morning we met some friends at our local farmer's market where we browsed and bought all sorts of exciting summer produce.  (I do believe that heaven will smell like peaches.)  After a challenging brunch with my overtired toddler, we headed home with our cache of fruits and veggies.  The grumpy toddler was down for the count, so the rest of us girls took advantage of the peace and played cards.  We also giggled non-stop and ate all of the strawberries we had bought this morning.  At one point my nine year old laughed so hard, bits of strawberry came out of her nose.  That's how you know it was a good card game.

Next my girls became very interested in a bag of sweet peas that needed to be shelled.  Shelling peas can be a bit of a chore unless there are lots of charming helpers involved.  When our baby woke up refreshed from her nap, she didn't even have to be invited to join in.  She climbed right up on the table with her little bare feet and dived right in.  Sensible young ladies, of course, do not sit on top of the kitchen table, but today we were having too much fun with one of summertime's ordinary tasks to be sensible.

Give peas a chance.

Happy children always say, "Peas and Thank You!"

Pretty Peas!!


What kinds of bountiful invitations is Summertime extending to you? 
And feel free to leave any other obnoxious pea puns in my comment section.  I obviously cannot get enough.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Can I pretty peas come live at your house if I am a child in my next life??

Anonymous said...

Pray for Whirrled Peas!