Thursday, September 1, 2011

Up North


We thought we already lived "Up North" since we are in mid-Michigan.  It's certainly farther north than any place I've ever lived before, but local Midlanders constantly refer to the wonderfulness of  "going Up North," and now that we've officially been, we understand why.  We recently returned from a long weekend up in the Traverse City area where we saw some of the most beautiful sights.  On the way up, we even pulled the car over in Paradise, MI so that Emma could have a potty break.  The highlight of her day was having "peed in Paradise."

Words escape me as I attempt to describe the breath-taking scenery we encountered up yonder.  At several points, I looked through the view finder of my camera and simply sighed and replaced the lens cover.  I am not a good enough photographer to capture the immense exquisiteness that is Lake Michigan.  Here, however, are a few of the photos I took anyway.  Perhaps they are still worth almost a thousand words.

Here we are at the top of one of the Sleeping Bear Dunes.  The camera also fails to capture what a strenuous climb it was (for me at least) getting to the top.  I hustled ahead with a sleeping toddler strapped to my back, sand crumbling beneath my bare feet and sun beating down from above.  When we were about three quarters of the way to the top, my calves were screaming and I started to doubt myself.  Luckily my daughter Emma bounded back down the dune, took my hand, and encouraged, "Come on, Mom!  I'll give you some of my power."  With her help, I did indeed make it to the top where I shouted He-Man's battle cry and was rewarded with a spectacular view.

On Day Two we rented a pontoon boat and spent the day on gorgeous Torch Lake.  My seven year old summed up the day well when she dubbed it, "B.D.E."  (That's "Best Day Ever," of course.)
Tubing on Torch Lake got four thumbs up and two splashes from our two oldest girls.
Lili and I were very content to relax and leave the excitement to the big kids.

On Day Three we enjoyed the natural and man-made wonders that Traverse City had to offer...
I'm pretty sure that it's written in the Constitution that proper family vacations must include a round of mini golf.  And did you know that eighteen holes of golf can bring out at least eighteen different moods in my nine year old?  This pirate-themed mini golf course was fantastic actually, and there were "fun" facts about the exploits of Edward Teach (a.k.a. Blackbeard) around the Carolina coast at each hole.
We even let Emma take a silly novelty photo of the us in the stocks.  Emma said we should look "desperate and sad," so George and I both imagined how we had felt several hours earlier when our adorable toddler was wide awake in the hotel past midnight.  Family holidays are mostly good, but there are also bad and ugly moments to balance things out.

To end it all we spent a lovely afternoon enjoying Lake Michigan.  My Michigan friends tell me plainly that it IS the best Great Lake ever, and I think I could be convinced too.  And now for your enjoyment... a photo of my naked thighs.  I know you were hoping for as much.
Alright now, settle down, Beavis.

But wait!  That's not all.  The next day on the way home, we stopped by the apparently world famous "Cops and Doughnuts" in Clare, MI.  The doughnuts were good, and the mug shots were free...

So to sum up.... We had a wonderful "Up North" vacation.  10-4.  Over and out.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I LOVE the mugshots!!!

And, did I ever mention that I want to be one of your daughters in my next life??

Love your blog, it never fails to make me smile while I'm working away here at my office:)