Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Family Dinner, a book plug

I recently picked up this book (The Family Dinner by Laurie David) at a friend's house while we were in Kentucky.  I casually began to flip through the pages, then found myself, moments later, curled around it as my brain purred and began to devour little morsels if inspiration that lay on each page.  When we got home, I immediately ordered a copy for myself.  This book merely confirmed things that I already believe about the importance of dining together as a family.  It is also full of recipes and suggestions for making family meal time more fun, healthful and meaningful for kids and their parents.

Although this particular suggestion was not in the book, I have begun writing the evening's "menu" on a white board in our kitchen, and my children find this incredibly exciting (especially when a dessert is listed).  Anticipation creates excitement.

Last night we also played a couple of dinner table conversation games, which kept my husband and his short attention span thoroughly engaged throughout the meal.  We first played "Thorns and Roses" and shared the best thing about our day (the roses) and the worst thing (the thorns).  By the way, three different people at our table noted that the best thing about their day was the fact that Lili had triumphed at the potty for the first time ever.  You go, girl!  (Literally.)  The Family Dinner contains a couple of chapters with fun ideas for stimulating conversation and frivolity at the dinner table.

I have one daughter who has, from a very early age, appreciated the sensual value of enjoying a meal, savoring the flavors and embracing warm companionship at the table.  I have often referred to Sophia as my "food soul mate."  She becomes at least as ecstatic as I am over a beautiful piece of fish and some fresh stalks of asparagus.  Cooking and dining with her is an easy and joyous experience...
"WOWZA!"  

I also recognize that it is tempting to always call her name first when I need a helper in the kitchen. I am trying to be more conscious about getting everyone involved in the kitchen.  Last night Emma helped me prepare everything that was listed on our menu board: bangers and mash, steamed broccoli and carrots, and best of all, chocolate zucchini cake.  When we were finished preparing this meal, there was, for some Emma-related reason, water all over the kitchen counters and floors.  This was, of course, a small price to pay for quality time in the kitchen with my eldest girl.

Our "Family Dinner" is an evolving experience, but so far, we have just a few Dinner Time Rules:
  • No TV or phones at the dinner table (of course).
  • Everyone drinks water with dinner.  (My nine year old is not a huge fan of this one.)
  • You must try a little of everything on the table.
  • Everyone helps with dinner (cooking/ preparation and/or cleaning up).
Easy enough, yes?  I am motivated and excited now, but I am feeling a bit dreadful about the start of the school year and the beginning of after school and evening commitments.  Will we still be able to preserve the sacred family dinner several nights a week?  Stay tuned.

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table. " ~Ronald Reagan 
(Yes, I just quoted Ronald Reagan on my blog.)

2 comments:

JaclynJohnson said...

I love our family dinner time! Even though its only about 10 minutes long because of quick eaters and short attention spans at this age, we have started the habit and it is so great for us.

Katy said...

I'm sure it is hard work to make that time together happen in the busy school year. But looking back at my own growing-up years -- the hard work at coordinating schedules so we could share a meal only made the time that much more important to me.

Cheers to another entry that reminds me you are one of my favorite moms ever. :-)

(Although I'm not entirely sure if you should serve children something called "bangers and mash"....:-P)