Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Paula Deen Never Thought Of That!

Fair warning: if you don't want to hear about my breastfeeding woes, skip on to the next entry, which contains nothing unsavoury.

I have avoided my blog for the past few days because I can barely think of anything other than my painful, blocked milk ducts. Today I am breaking the silence in hopes that some of my mommy-pals out there will contact me with a miracle cure. Yesterday, for example, I loaded the left side of my bra with grated, raw potato, which according to several sources, is a tried and true home remedy for drawing out blockages. I will never look at hash browns the same way, kids.

I did just speak to a midwife on the phone, and she encouraged me not to worry but to carry on with what I've been doing: applying heat, excruciating massage of the area, and continued nursing in unusual positions. (I didn't own up to attempting the potato trick.) I am starting to get extremely fed up since this has been going on for nearly a week now. It seems as though I give up one discomfort and it is immediately replaced by a new one! So, my dear mommy friends, I am open to any and all suggestions whether they involve root vegetables or not. Help!

2 comments:

Shay-Zee said...

Well, you basically know my entire BF story and I didn't really get clogged ducts as much as just straight to mastitis. BUT, one time this girl told me she had heard that you can take a comb and comb your boob to unclog the ducts. It's probably not much different than your massage, but it sounded sort of intriguing and I filed it away in my mind for future use.

I hope it gets better! That pain is like nothing else.

mamacarson said...

Hmmm... I have also read about "boob combing." Sounds awful, so I'll probably give it a shot. Nursing her while she straddled my thigh seemed to help a bit today as well.