Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sophie Hits Six


On her big day, Sophie looked outside and saw throughout the course of the day: sunshine, rain, wind, hail and snow.  Well, we ARE in Wales, aren't we?  Turning six was a great thing to do on March the 31st, and Sophie insisted she felt a little taller the moment she woke up in the morning.  During the day, she and Emma went off to Sport Stars camp, while I prepared the house for the celebration.  This included, of course, baking and assembling her berry-licious birthday cake, which was divine if I do say so my own self.  I also prepared a Mexican feast with fajitas and burritos and all of the trimmings.  It was nice to set a table without having to include knives and forks.  We were joined by our adopted family, the Collinses, and they coped well with our crazy meal wrapped in tortillas.

Sophie took ages contemplating her wish, but the candles were eventually blown out.

I love this picture of sweet sisters not posing at bit for my camera.  I believe this is what they refer to as a "Kodak Moment," y'all.

Of course, she' still young enough to be fooled by George's suggestion that she check out how nice her cake smelled!

This, on the other hand, is an example of a fabulously posed photo.  I have trained my daughter well, as she came up with the whole, "Oops!  Did I eat all of that cake?" concept on her own.  Michael was an obviously willing participant.

Watching the children in our lives grow up reminds us how quickly time can just slip through our fingers.  It seems like just yesterday that Sophie was the little cheeky toddler who groped me publicly and then loudly announced, "I like your breast, mom!"  My how they grow!  Happy Birthday, Sweet Sophie!  May all your dreams come true.

"It takes a long time to grow young."
~ Pablo Picasso

No comments: