Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Turkey Day Blues

Today I am feeling so far away. George has gone off to work and the kids are at school. It is just an ordinary day here, but I know you're all gathered around turkeys and sweet potato pies and cranberry sauces which still retain the shape of the cans they came from. This morning when the clock went off at 7:30 a.m., it just felt so wrong. I remember grumbling to my husband, "If we were home today, we'd all have the day off." Since I am performing in A Christmas Carol all this week , we won't even have a proper sit-down family meal tonight. Well, now I have thoroughly depressed myself. I may have even eaten half a bag of Doritos while sitting here fretting about what we're missing.

My husband George would say, "Think about all of the cool holidays our kids are getting to experience here that they would never have if we lived at home." Yeah yeah yeah.
I want some pie and a four day weekend!! If I were Sophie Carson, I would stomp up the stairs and pitch a temper fit in my bedroom over it right now. I realize that none of this is in the spirit of Thanksgiving, and I know my blessings are bountiful, but surely I am allowed to feel a little homesick, jealous and stroppy on Thanksgiving. No?

Seriously now, don't worry about me. As Tim Long would most certainly say: I "will be ah-ight!" Happy Thanksgiving one and all, and eat an extra piece of pie for me...that's an order!

No comments: