Saturday, November 22, 2008

We Need a Little Christmas...and Thanksgiving

Thanks largely to the show choir I was a part of in high school and all of the fun and high jinks that seemed to ensue at Christmas time, Christmas remains one of my favorite times of year. Apart from the crowds out shopping, I am a big fan of most everything having to do with Christmas, and since we are celebrating Thanksgiving early today, I will probably be kicking off the Christmas season early this year. (The kids and I have already been listening to some Christmas music in the car.) Since there is no such thing as Thanksgiving in the UK (although I have heard some Brits refer to the 4th of July as their Thanksgiving--cheeky!), Christmas seems to kick off earlier here anyway.
This morning I took Emma and Sophie to a Christmas Fayre at Christ Church in Radyr. We had a really lovely time. There was a lovely Christmas concert performed by the choir, mulled wine, mince pies and turkey rolls, and fun activities for the kids...including, as you can see, face painting. Sophie and Emma had unique face painting requests. Sophie wanted to be Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer, and Emma wanted to be an angel. Caroline, the face painter, did a nice job!

George is busy in the kitchen with turkey and pumpkin pie, and I will be joining him soon to round out the meal. After reading my friend Molly's blog post the other day, I may have to make, "Chocolate Heaven" (also known as Doo Doo Balls to those of us with no social graces).

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
  • If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice. ~Meister Eckhart
  • Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day. ~Robert Caspar Lintner

  • Stand up, on this Thanksgiving Day, stand upon your feet. Believe in man. Soberly and with clear eyes, believe in your own time and place. There is not, and there never has been a better time, or a better place to live in. ~Phillips Brooks

  • Nothing is more honorable than a grateful heart. ~Seneca

  • Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. ~W.T. Purkiser

  • We give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way. ~Author Unknown

  • Thanksgiving, man! Not a good day to be my pants. ~Kevin James

  • I thank God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy. ~ Philippians 1:3-4

No comments: