Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Day Out at Longleat

Since George was able to take the day off work on Thursday, we decided that an adventure was in order. We packed up the car and drove to Longleat just on the other side of Bath, and we had a great day. We visited a real bat cave, saw all sorts of animals in the petting area...including otters who were feasting on baby chicks...oh my! We took a Safari boat and saw sea lions, hippos and Nico the lowland gorilla on "Gorilla Island." We also ventured through the giant hedge maze and were luckily led by George who has a much better sense of direction than I. We didn't even need to send up red sparks with our magic wands in order to be rescued by Professor Dumbledore.

After a really nice wander around the grounds, we headed back to the car, as we had saved the best for last. We were at last ready to drive through the Safari Park. I was not prepared for how fantastic this would be. We were so close to all of the animals. When we were driving through the lions area, I cracked my window and we were able to very clearly hear a "conversation" between a male lion and his ladies. We all sat, silent and transfixed. The photo below was taken from my car window. If I had been foolish enough to open my door and get out, this huge fellow would have been just a few paces away.

In another area of the park, George and the girls were able to feed these lovely fallow deer. I couldn't believe how brave Sophie was about it!


I also never thought I would be this close to a rhinocerous. There were several of them roaming about. When I rolled my window down, we could actually hear them crunching and munching on grass. So cool!

So all in all.... and excellent day out! It is quite sunny today, so perhaps we will have another adventure...but a bit closer to home.
Happy Easter weekend to everyone!

No comments: