Thursday, April 16, 2009

Practically Perfect in Every Way

Today was one of those really great days. Today was the kind of day I used to imagine when I envisioned myself with children (before I actually had children). We woke up at a somewhat leisurely hour and all showered and got dressed in our favorite dresses. The girls were giddy with excitement since the three of us had tickets to see Mary Poppins at the Wales Millennium Centre. Later in the morning we went to the train station and headed for Cardiff Bay. We had plenty of time to spare, so we scouted out the perfect place for lunch: Bellini's overlooking the water. Sophie ordered her own lunch (in perfect Italian): canneloni spinaci, Emma had spaghetti polpette and I had pizza funghi. Everything was fabulous. If you don't believe me, ask Sophia as she ate all of her canneloni, three slices of my pizza and about half of Emma's spaghetti. She still had room, of course, for two scoops of vanilla gelato afterwards. Perhaps she is having sympathetic pregnancy symptoms?

After a most satisfactory lunch, we walked over to the theatre and discovered that we had really fantastic seats in Row C! (I don't know why I never bother to look at where I'm sitting until I actually get there.) We were thrilled we'd have such an excellent view of Mary and Bert. (Below Emma is marvelling at how brilliant our seats are, and Sophie is joining in.)
The show was so great we were practically shrieking with delight. Wonderful actors, exciting dance numbers, perfect costumes, and superb special effects...who could ask for anything more? The bloke who played Bert was a perfect combination of a British Dick Van Dyke and Ryan Gosling. We approved!! So we all highly recommend Mary Poppins and girls' days out. Today was one of the best.

On a completely different note, yesterday Sophie was invited to go and play at her friend Ruby's house, so while she was occupied there, Emma accompanied me on a little shopping trip to look for a few maternity clothes...all of my old ones are in storage somewhere in North Carolina. I haven't been able to comfortably button my regular jeans for a few weeks now, so it was time. While we were browsing, Emma noticed a maternity t-shirt that was "bedazzled" with jewels that spelled out the words "Hot Mama." She drew my attention to it, and although it's not my style, I asked her, "Do you think I should try that one on?" Emma scrunched up her face and looked at me very skeptically and replied,

"Well, you are a mama, and you are very pretty, but a shirt like that is just bragging." I think I hugged her right there...or at the very least high fived her. What cool little girl she is. I am always fascinated with the way her brain thinks about things.

And now, I will leave you with this final thought:
"I'm practically perfect in every way. Practically perfect, that's my forte. Uncanny nannies are hard to find, unique, yet meek and unspeakably kind..."

No comments: