Thursday, February 25, 2010

Let's Go to the Movies

I could write a book entitled Things I'd Never Dream of Doing With My First Baby.  This book would be chock full of cool things that I do with my third baby... things like going to the cinema fairly regularly.  (Once a month is fairly regularly when children are involved.)  Yesterday while the big girls were in school, Lili and I went to our local cinema so that we could finally see if all of the fuss over James Cameron's Avatar was justified.  (Totally justified, by the way,  Great film.)  We both thoroughly enjoyed it (even though Lil didn't have her own pair of 3D glasses).  Now we can participate in all of those dinner party conversations about the Na'vi and Eywa.  We are sorted.

I expected fairly deserted theatre at 12 noon on  a Wednesday, but I had, of course, forgotten that it was "2 For 1 Orange Wednesday," so there were numerous couples already seated when Lili and I came in.  Several of them gave me crusty, judgemental looks because I had the audacity to bring a baby into such a sacred place... or was I just imagining that?  Whatever the case, they were all smiles when the film was over, and they were saying things like: Oh, bless. Love her. Isn't she gorgeous!  because Lili is a super champ at the movies.  She watched the screen for a little while, had a drink, took a nap, then woke up for the thrilling, albeit somewhat predictable, ending.  It was a fantastic afternoon.

I am taking advantage of this short window of time.  For only a few months Lili is happy and immobile, and life is a little bit easier.  I know I won't be taking a toddler to the movies.  Nor will a two-year-old Lili sit happily on my lap while I have a nice meal out with my husband.  So for now I plan to enjoy the heck out of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ummm... You've been to the movies more since Lili was born than I've been since...probably since Sophie was born.