Monday, October 18, 2010

Chocolate Makes Everything Better

Before living in the UK, I had never had a "chocolate apple," but one autumn day while wandering the Tesco looking for something comforting to remind me of home, I came across a Chocolate Apple Kit.  It basically contained a few lollipop sticks, a large pot of milk chocolate buttons, and some festive Halloween sprinkles.  I was, of course, ON IT, using the contents but making my own rules.  I prefer to melt chocolate on the stove top in a double boiler rather than in the microwave.  My double boiler is homemade: a metal bowl that fits neatly over a small pan full of simmering water.  Easy peasy.

The apples are stabbed with lolly sticks and then dipped or rolled in the melted chocolate.  It is fabulously festive to add colorful sprinkles but not entirely necessary.  The apples then need to go into the fridge for at least an hour.  (I do love a cold apple.)

When I was living abroad, I longed for all of the seasonal decor and candy and crap that is so readily available here in the US, but now that I am back... well, of course, it's a different story.  I feel inundated and overwhelmed with the (poor quality, made in China) holiday merchandise in all of the stores, and I realize what a fun challenge it was to have to create our own decorations, treats...and crap.  These chocolate apples took us all back there yesterday.  We made an ordinary Sunday feel extra special by sharing a home cooked family meal: roasted chicken, mashed sweet potatoes, stuffing and green beans.  Then we indulged in our own seasonal treats...

Yes, we ALL indulged!

Sophie wants me to let you know that these apples are especially good at helping annoying, wobbly teeth find their way out.  Unfortunately it didn't work for her (and neither did all of the tooth-wiggling she did with her fingers while she was supposed to be singing with the carol choir in church yesterday)!  Nevertheless, the apples were great... even better than caramel or candy apples in my humble opinion.


No comments: