Sunday, October 10, 2010

Popsicles and Chicken Soup

George left us early Thursday morning and headed off for a "Lads Gone Mad" weekend in Cancun with his brother and a friend, so all of the Carson girlies have been here enjoying the beautiful Michigan autumn on our own.  That George does not know what he's missing.
Back by popular demand: Everyone's favorite green, fleecy hoodie with ears

On Friday the kids had the day off school, so we went out to a petting farm in Freeland called Baby Acres where Emma and Sophie got to pet and feed all sorts of friendly farm animals.  Everything about it was excellent apart from the incident in which two pygmy goats took offense to my sheepskin lined boots.  They repeatedly headbutted my ankles and rubbed their foreheads menacingly all over the sides of my boots.  We were visiting the farm with a Mom's group, and all of the other Michigan Mommies who were standing by me laughed and said (in that unmistakable Michigan accent), "OH MY GAHSH!  That is SOOO cute!"  Yes, cute, that was exactly what I was thinking as those two beasts almost knocked me off my feet.  Totally cute.

After we fed, petted and wrestled the farm animals, we all climbed onto a hay filled wagon and were pulled by a for real Michigan farmer driving a tractor out to the pumpkin patch.  My girls had never been on a hay ride before, and they were impressed.  Out at the pumpkin patch, each kid got to pick a pumpkin to bring home.  Someone remarked to Emma, "Wow!  You picked a really good one!"

"Yeah," she said, "This one just spoke to me."

Baby's first hay ride!

After we visited the farm, we drove out to Frankenmuth, Michigan's little Bavaria, and spent the rest of the day exploring the various charming little shops and what not.  Not to be missed was the Frankenmuth Cheese Haus.  Sophia was extremely disappointed to discover that this was not actually a house made of cheese.  Never mind that.  Her spirits were lifted when we visited Bronner's, the world's largest Christmas store.  We spent about an hour in there, and I don't even think we saw a quarter of it.  The place was crazy.  Unfortunately, our three year old companion Riley was not impressed.  When we finally left he said, "I never want to go back in that store again.  It's BO'ing!!"  Ah, well, to each his own.  I, for one, WILL be going back to Bronner's one day!


The rest of our weekend hasn't been quite as eventful.  Last night I made an appearance at a very close neighbor's fancy autumn dinner party.  I took Lili has my date since George was out of town.  Lili is still practicing her eyebrow-controlled facial expressions, and she managed to give everyone at that party her trademarked "Serious-face" frown.  Of course they were all polite and said she was "SO cute," but she looked downright cantankerous if you ask me.

This morning Sophie came downstairs crying.  She was wearing her church dress and had one foot inside a pair of tights.  "I'm so tired!"  She moaned, "I didn't sleep all night!"  When she came closer, it was obvious that home girl had a very high fever and that we would not be going to church even if it was Emma's turn to ring the bell that starts the service.  I quickly called the pastor at home so that he could recruit another helpy-helperton from the congregation to serve as bell-ringer, and we have been here tucked up with popsicles, chicken soup and Andy Griffith ever since. 

Sophie has been sleeping quite a bit.  I have been putting a good bit of energy into vacuuming up these flippin' lady bugs that are all over my house.  Don't correct me.  They are lady bugs, NOT Japanese beetles.  Little girls are not afraid of having ladybugs in their bedrooms when Dad is out of town, but Japanese beetles are another story.  They started showing up in the middle of last week, and now they are completely out of control.  I suppose this is the price we pay for living out amongst all of the nature.  Tony, our beloved 'bug man', who is slightly reminiscent of Barney Fife is coming out tomorrow afternoon to help us nip this in the bud!

George, we have obviously enjoyed our girls weekend, but we are ready for you to come back!

No comments: