Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hello My Baby, Hello My Honey...

Sweet Sophie perched in the window reading us a story...
She's going to make a great big sister.


Sophie has been developing a lovely fondness for the little girl growing inside me. She often lifts my shirt and whispers into my tummy, "Hello, baby. This is Sophie, and I love you!" She also often whispers, "Stay in there. I don't want mom to have to go to bed." Sophie also likes to put her ear to my tummy to see if anyone ever answers back. Unfortunately Sophie has the attention span of...well, a five year old, and she hasn't yet been able to feel the baby kicking. Anytime she is around and I feel big movements, I call her over and have her put her hand on me to feel. Inevitably the movement instantly stops, and after about thirty seconds, Sophie is completely bored with waiting. I am reminded of the Warner Brothers singing/ dancing frog who always clams up and croaks anytime his owner tries to show him off.


Sophie has another theory as to why she's never able to feel the baby move. "I'm just cwtching her," Sophie says, "And I made her go to sleep." It is lovely and surprising to see that Sophie already seems to be forming a kind of bond with her new sister. This little girl is so blessed to have four elated people at home waiting excitedly to greet and welcome her into the world.

No comments: