Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jack & Toby Are Back!

Yesterday after helping me make a fantastic lunch of grilled cheddar cheese & apple sandwiches, I found Sophie sitting on her own with The Very Hungry Caterpillar game. I apologized and told her that I couldn’t play right then since I needed to have my lunch and clean up the kitchen. “No, it’s okay,” she replied, “I’m just playing this with Jack and Toby.”

Jack and Toby are Sophie’s imaginary friends who have been en absentia lately.
“Oh,” I said, “Jack and Toby are back? They’ve been away for a while. Have they been on holiday?”

“Yes,” she told me, “They’ve been to Egypt.”

“Wow! Egypt sounds exciting. What did they see there?” I queried.

“Oh, just some camels.”

“Did Jack behave himself?” I asked since Jack tends to be naughty by nature.

“Yes, Toby was looking after Jack, so he didn’t get into any trouble. Toby has to really look after Jack because he is a little rascal.” And so the conversation continued.

How I love having creative little girls around the house. I think about how rarely we actually play with toys around here. This weekend, the kids have kept themselves very entertained with cutting and coloring paper doll chains. Emma has also been engrossed in her Hama beads again, making ducks and little girls this time. And I have been drawing inspiration from them both. Creativity is contagious, you know.

Last night at bedtime, Sophie came in listening to her song list on the iPod. She sat next to me on the bed, took out the ear buds and asked, “Where are the baby’s ears? I think she needs to hear this.” The song was Big Girl, You are Beautiful by Mika, and the ear buds were directly smashed onto my abdomen. Sure enough, Mika got a response, and the baby began to groove along to the music a bit. Sophie already feels certain that she and her new sister are going to get along swimmingly.

Wishing you creative bliss and the knowledge that YOU are beautiful…wherever you are reading this.

No comments: