Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Perfectly Imperfect

Life will never be perfect again. I was fooling myself all along when I thought I could make things just right, but that is my nature. I tend to make lists and plan out how everything should go on special occasions... much like Will Ferrell's character in Elf: "First we'll make snow angels for two hours, then we'll go ice skating. Then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse cookie dough as fast as we can, and then...we'll snuggle!"

But this year with three children, I have officially had to let go of my inner perfectionist. I let go of the lists of things that are supposed to happen at Christmastime and just went with the flow. This year's gingerbread house (pictured above) was entirely kid-created, apart from a little help with the assembly from our resident engineer. Honestly, I think it's the happiest-looking gingerbread house we've ever had.


Also, there just wasn't time to make the traditional Christmas cookies this year with everything else going on... so a sleeve of round butter cookies, loads of sprinkles and jimmies, and a tub of Betty Crocker frosting dyed four different colors with food coloring kept my little moppets as happy as can be for over an hour. While George and I cooked turkey and trimmings and an excellent sweet potato pie, Emma and Sophie decorated and set the dining room table for our meal. Was the silverware placed correctly on the table? Probably not, but everyone took part; no one was stressed, and the meal was delicious.

This is how Lili spent our Christmas dinner, and I think I have learned a lot from her attitude. Christmas should be a time for feeling at peace and enjoying time with family and friends, not a time for racing around like that proverbial be-headed chicken. Not all of the decorations made it out of storage. Those snow angels still haven't happened, but Christmas still came and was enjoyed by all at our house. You know I just have to quote Theodore Geisel here: "It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes or bags!"
Hope you enjoy the rest of the holiday season. Sleep in heavenly peace.
Love,
Meredith

No comments: