Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"A Star Kept Shining!"

Yesterday was a good day to be a mom. I got to go to two Christmas concerts which featured my children singing lovely songs about stars and angels and the good news of Christmas. In the morning Lili and I went to the Radyr Primary Junior's concert. I sat next to my good friend Sonia, and as we waited for the show to start, we cheekily discussed how Gok Wan might improve on the fashion choices of some of the staff and teachers. 'Tis the season to be catty, I suppose. (Seriously though, Gok could have a field day.)

...And then the show began. After the Year Sixes performed (not once, but twice) a tedious yet imaginative version of The 12 Days of Christmas (which included "9 'Jedwards' Dancing"), the Year Fives shared a fantastic medley of songs from the musical Oliver! Then it was finally time for the traditional Christmas nativity musical put on by Years 3 and 4. The music was really lovely. Dear Emma sang her little heart out and gazed lovingly at her mother for almost the entire show. (I think the loving gazes may have actually been fixed on her baby sister, but I am still claiming them.)


In the afternoon, we trekked back out in the rain to see the Infants' concert, and we were so impressed with our Sophia. She had two speaking parts which were delivered with great expression and confidence, and she also had an angelic solo. Her singing was so clear and beautiful. I got completely choked up watching her, and I heard several "Ahhh"s from others in the audience when her song was finished. Perhaps she will follow in her mother's footsteps?? I certainly had a love of singing when I was her age, but I didn't have to confidence to give it a go publicly until I was a bit older.
(Below, Sophie is pictured looking out into the audience at baby Lili after the show.)
The Lili Monster certainly gathered her fair share of the attention while we were out as well. Even the school's headmaster asked if she could have a cwtch, and don't even get me started on the response she elicited from all of the eleven year old girls in Year 6! I can't say that I blame any of them. She is downright adorable. We are enjoying her more and more since just in the last couple of weeks, she has started to become a little character with her own charming personality. She smiles. She coos. She shrieks with delight. And she has us ALL wrapped around her tiny finger. Love love love LILI!!
George snapped the above photo as we were walking back to the car after Sophie's concert yesterday. We were setting off all of the cuteness-alarms in Radyr.
Today is being spent catching up on all of our laundry. Five people generate a LOT of dirty laundry! It has gotten to the point that I am going through the kids' baskets, giving things a sniff, and tossing them back to the girls saying, "You can totally wear this AT LEAST one more time!!" And by the way, it is definitely more eco-friendly to do less laundry. I am trying to do my part!

1 comment:

Why Momma Loves the Maxi Dress said...

That's how we Cook's do laundry too. It's called survival.