Friday, June 5, 2009

But I Want a Brother!!

Yesterday was the day of the big scan. Emma was with her class on a field trip to Southerndown beach, so Sophie and George went with me to the hospital...

Most importantly, everything with the baby looked good. No abnormalities were detected, so we are pleased as can be. Sophie, however, was not so pleased when no boy parts could be detected either. Her arms went crossed and bottom lip came right out when her Dad said, "It looks like it's going to be a sister. What do you think about that?"

"No, I want a brother!"

The lady who was doing my scan apologised repeatedly to Sophie (bless her), but after looking, she really didn't see anything that would indicate we are having a boy. After the fact, I realized that my children and family had me quite convinced it was a boy because I am still trying to process it. We all had boy names picked out. (Sophie was pulling for Leo or Harry.) But we haven't really thought about girls' names. There is obviously still plenty of time for that...and, of course, ultrasound scans are not 100% accurate. Even though my previous scans indicated I was carrying girls, I always held off on buying too much pink unti I saw the goods for myself.

After we left the hospital, we did our best to convince Sophie that having a baby sister really would be good fun. We took her shopping and let her pick out a few cute, pink baby things. When we got home, we called Emma, who had gone to her friend Hannah's house after school. Sophie broke the big news, "It's a girl," and then she almost angrily insisted, "And it's gonna be FUN!" Emma didn't mind whether it was a boy or girl, but she was excited to hear the news.

And now it is all just starting to feel very real to us. George felt Miss Baby move earlier this week when she was practicing her evening tap dance routine. My tummy is obviously growing, and it appears we are not playing around...we are really going to be having another baby! Look out, world!

On another note...we have had completely gorgeous weather all week. All of the locals have been apologising to me about the heat. This always makes me laugh since we've had highs in the low 70's, and anyone who has lived in North Carolina knows, that ain't heat! (I also giggle because they often use the phrase "in your condition" to describe my pregnant state.) So thankfully Emma had fantastic weather for her class trip to the beach yesterday. When she got home last night, she told me all about it. Apparently, it wasn't all fun and games. She had to do lots of work at the beach. This work included looking for creatures such as 'kermit crabs' and 'sea gooseberries'. Today Sophie's class has gone to Cefn Mably farm, and I am hoping they too will make it through the day without rain.

As you can see, we've had a week full of excitement. We are all feeling very positive and ultimately blessed! Hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments: