Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

One of the best things about having children is that you are allowed to see life through their eyes. The things you thought were just ordinary turn out to be truly exciting. I love the fact that my kids get so excited about hot chocolate and picnics in the back garden. Yesterday, we had to run out to the post office at our local mini Tesco, and while we were there I noticed that the blackberries were on sale. I sent each girl to get a shopping basket (since that's the only way to be fair), and let them each carry a punnet of blackberries. We also picked up a few other things like curry sauce and bramley apple sausages which thrilled my two little moppets to no end.

When we got home I washed the blackberries and mixed them with some capped strawberries. I called the girls into the kitchen for this snack, and they were downright giddy. While I emptied the dishwasher, I listened to their ever-so-civilized conversation about how lovely the berries were. Sophie couldn't believe how tasty they were. Wise Emma explained that I must have added some "special mommy 'gredients" to make them extra tasty. My heart smiled.

Anytime I serve the girls porridge for breakfast (that's oatmeal if you're American), Emma launches into the most fantastic and descriptive version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears you've ever heard. Sophie happily eats her porridge with cinnamon and honey while Emma details how Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear each responded to their morning's breakfast. What a nice way to start our day.

Yes, today I am feeling very grateful for the fact that I get to be a mom in this life. I am ever so blessed to have two little girls reminding me that the simplest things can indeed be the best things. There is, in my opinion, almost nothing better than curling up with a little girl wrapped in one arm and a wonderful storybook in the other hand. It is extremely rare for a day to go by without a story and a cwtch among us. Right now Sophie is very fond of Dorothy Edwards' Naughty Little Sister stories. Not surprisingly, Emma is a fan of fantasy stories. And I am just glad that I get to be the storyteller. Nice work if you can get it!

No comments: