Thursday, September 24, 2009

Miss Helperton Takes the Day Off

After a few days of the sniffles, Sophie had an unfortunate incident with a coughing spell gone wrong yesterday morning. It resulted in a good bit of the porridge she had eaten for breakfast revisiting us all. So she got to have the day off... even though, apart from the aforementioned porridge puking, she felt perfectly fine.

Emma, of course, took a turn toward the gloomy side when she heard Sophie would be home with me all day, and she decided it was going to be the worst day of school ever. I'm sure she imagined Sophie and me taking a day trip to Paris while she sat in class and did her spellings.

Instead of Paris, I had to drag Sophie to Asda to do the weekly shopping. She was about as cheerful as a girl can be as she skipped up and down the aisles in her school uniform singing, "Everyone else is in school except me!!" She also persuaded me to "go upstairs" in Asda where we couldn't help but buy a "Mummy's Little Pumpkin" outfit for our baby. But please don't mention to Emma that we did anything fun!

Back at home Helpy-helperton helped me put all of the groceries away AND pack my hospital bag. It's time to be prepared, you know! Sophie got to learn all about maternity towels, breast pads and nursing bras, and she already knows entirely too much about hemorrhoids and heartburn. (I'm afraid we may have turned into that family who shares just a little too much!) Then, upon noticing that the baby seemed particularly active, I decided to assume the position for the Elkin's maneuver to encourage the baby to 'take a nose dive' (as my friend Molly says). This basically means I got on all fours with my bum stuck up in the air. Sophie, helpful as ever, crawled in between my legs and began shouting at the bottom of my bump, "BABY!! Turn around!! Put your head down HERE, Elora!!" (I think the naming of this child is completely out of my hands now. Sophie has made an executive decision.) Anyway, I wish I had a photograph of this scenario as I am sure we looked completely bizarre and hilarious. At this point, I don't think the baby has flipped, but she is still rather active, so I am not losing faith.

Today seems rather dull with Sophie back at school. I am trying to get caught up on some laundry and other boring but essential business. The weather here is absolutely gorgeous, so I also managed to work in a lovely walk in the sunshine. My pace has slowed considerably, but my heart is still in it.

No comments: