Monday, September 21, 2009

My Big Fat British Baby Shower and Other Weekend Adventures

I am wondering if the songs from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat will ever be out of my head! The soundtrack has been playing in my house and in my car for weeks now, and we finally got to go and see the show live on Saturday. Emma and Sophie absolutely loved it...as did their parents. Also, since the 6 week healing period on her ear piercing had elapsed, Emma got to take her own money and choose some new earrings. She bought three pairs in the shop: ladybugs, turtles and rainbows, and she looks fabulous. She was also brave enough to approach a live statue in the city centre when we were there on Saturday...


Even on the best of days, Emma is still Emma, and don't get me wrong, we desperately love Emma, but she continues to struggle with feeling misunderstood and victimized by the world. On the way home on the train on Saturday, she crawled under the seat to retrieve a ticket she had dropped. She crawled under the seat just as the train pulled into our station and the doors were opening... just as I was (at first) calmly saying, "Emma, let's go. Emma, we have to get off now. EMMA, GET UP!!!" George and Sophie were already off the train, so I picked her up and basically dragged her off...screaming. (She was the one screaming, not me.) I was angry. She was even angrier, and everything good that had happened earlier in the day seemed to wither away. This is a typical Emma-scenario. It took us about an hour of crying and talking to get over the ordeal, and similar events happen daily.

Emma seems to feel things more deeply than other people. She has had a stubborn, independent streak since birth, which means she regularly clashes with her stubborn and independent Dad. I often hear things like, "Stop trying to help me, Dad! I KNOW what I'm doing!!" Then when it all goes pear-shaped, she's crying, "No one will help me! Everyone is being so mean to me!!" She cannot stand it if she feels that someone is unhappy with her. I remember getting frustrated with her when she was about two years old, and saying, "OH, Emma! I declare!!" And she responded, pleadingly, "No, Mommy! PLEASE don't declare! Oh, don't you declare, Mommy!!"

Emma is often lost in her own thoughts and dreams for ages. She spends hours drawing, writing and creating. She also spends a good deal of time worrying, sympathizing and praying. I have no doubt that she will grow into an amazing woman, but growing can be painful...and tiring. I feel a bit like Glinda the Good Witch. I'd like to just show her NOW that she can click her heels together three times and be home, but no... everyone remembers Glinda's wisest and bitchiest line in the show, "She had to learn it for herself!" I can't save my innocent little Dorothy from the wicked witches and flying monkeys because then she'd also miss out on all of the wonderful things that can be found along the yellow brick road. Yes, she has to learn it for herself: all of the things for which she hopes and struggles are already within her; they were there all along.


But enough of philosophy according to L. Frank Baum... this weekend also brought me a fantastic night of being spoiled and celebrated by my British family. My friend Sonia hostessed a lovely evening for me on Sunday, and I really felt special and loved. She even found some really nice sparkling non-alcoholic wine that I could indulge in guilt-free!

(Above) Some of the ladies: Julie, Sian, Me, Sonia and Joanna


The ladies in pink! Gaynor (on the right) is actually a trained midwife, so we had all of the bases covered.


Beverely took this photo to show how my lady-like postured has completely vanished in the 9th month of pregnancy. I look especially ogre-like next to the always lovely Helen.


Yes, Bev, that IS the baby's head you are feeling!! Amazing, innit?

No comments: