Saturday, January 24, 2009

Britain, You've Grown on Me.

I was talking to a friend in the States several weeks ago, and when she asked how it was going, I surprised myself a little when I responded, "I think I finally 'get it' here." Thanks to my LitePod, I have not suffered from a depression this winter, but it's not just that. Britain has grown on me and with me. I still love the good ole USA and look forward to returning there someday (probably at the end of next school year), but I've been here for more than three years now, and it has become my home. When we return to the States to visit, I already feel a bit of reverse culture shock. Even when we're in a recession, the USA seems grand and decadent to me after getting used to life here.

Since I regularly communicate with people on both sides of the pond, I realize/ realise how much my language (and spelling) has changed. Shortly after arriving in the UK, we picked up on a few word subsitutions that needed to be made: "diapers" became "nappies"; "pants" became "trousers"; "underwear" became "pants"; "lines" became "queues". I also learned that squash was a strange dilutable beverage rather than a vegetable. There are many others, of course. As George Bernard Shaw said, "England and America are two countries divided by a common language."

So...at first, I found myself mindful of my diction when I was speaking to natives. Now, not surprisingly, I have to think about things when I am communicating with American friends and family. I was recently sending my brother in law some recipes, and had to remind myself that he buys things in "cans", rather than "tins." Sometimes I surprise myself when I hear previously unfamiliar words and phrases mindlessley tumble from my lips. I often invite others to "pop in" or "come 'round for tea." Or you may hear me ask one of the children, "What are you on about now?" Fancy hearing me apologise for being daft or for having to bugger off a bit early? And please don't take the p*ss, if you think it's a bit dodgy that my all-time favourite British word might be "rubbish," a word I unconsciously use several times a day. This change in vernacular is undoubtedly due to my surrendering to and embracing of the culture...finally. That, and watching too much British telly. :) I know that you blokes and lasses out there who are my true mates won't take the Mickey too much... perhaps you'll even regard me as something of a posh and clever bird.

So to my blog readers on both sides of the Atlantic, I apologise/ apologize for my spelling and diction. Both have become a muddled combination...or perhaps they are just the best of both worlds?

Yanks and Brits alike might enjoy... Top 10 Annoying Britishisms

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've been known to use most of that guy's list of annoying Britishisms and never with a Madonna-esque faux accent. Furthermore, most societies have some accepted and polite exchange associated with the exchange of goods, services, or well-wishing. Thus, aside from the fact that no one really means it, I can't fathom how "you're welcome" is annoying. For that matter, most people don't really mean "thank you;" they just utter it out of etiquette-based obligation.