Monday, January 19, 2009

Celebrating Everything from MLK to Blue Monday

I read an article this morning that made me chuckle. I am glad it made me laugh rather than cry. My SAD lamp is definitely doing right by me. Apparently scientists in the UK have done some sort of research to determine that today, Monday the 19th, is the most miserable and depressing day of the year. It is obvious that the writers are British and not wrapped up in the excitement of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and pre-Inauguration festivities. Anyway, you can check out the article here . The comments that follow also made me laugh.

I felt especially British today since after baking fantastic cookies last night (Oatmeal Scotchies to be precise), George and I had a "Frog and Toad Will Power" experience. After too many "last cookies," I decided they had to be gotten rid of...or shared, rather. (This is not the British part of my day.) After taking the kids to school, I chased down my friend Sonia to offer her some of my sinfully addictive cookies. (After his fifth one, George said, "These things are like crack!!") Then Sonia persuaded me to go for a brisk winter walk. I agreed that after my cookie binge, this was indeed a good idea. So, Sonia fed me a banana and we were off down the Taff Trail. (This is the British bit.) We tromped through the mud, chatted, dodged the puddles and finally commented on how lucky we were that it wasn't raining on us. Of course, moments later, the skies opened up and we were pelted with hail and rain. Ever the optomist, Sonia said, "At least we are on the way back... and besides, a walk in the rain is very good for you...something to do with positive ions." I'll give her that, but a walk in the cold rain is not really my cup of tea, for future reference.

So, I was feeling very pleased with myself for having braved the January, British elements. The moment I got home and got my wet clothes off, the sun came out and the rain ceased. It stayed sunny for the rest of the morning until I had to run out to the mini-Tesco, of course!! Such is life in Great Britain, but I am resolved NOT to have a "Blue Monday." There are too many good things going on in my life to be depressed. (Hooray Light Box, once again!!)

After school I got to resolve an argument between my children. A week from today is Chinese New Year, and Sophie declared it would be the Year of the Ox...because Her Highness, Mrs. Dickson told her so. Emma was so certain it was going to be the Year of the Horse. A quick Google search showed that Sophie and Mrs. Dickson were right on the money. The Year of the Ox is ahead of us, and according to Chinese horoscopes, it "will be an honest, candid and open-natured year." We also read further and found out that Emma is a "horse" and Sophie is a "monkey" according to the Chinese zodiac. To find out what you are, you can type in your birth year here.

No comments: